Thursday, November 6, 2008

Chiang Mai and Environs

Last time I was in Chiang Mai, I took a couple of pictures of the city. A lot of these pictures are temples, just because they're everywhere in Chiang Mai.


A moat goes around the old city. I took this from outside the old city looking in.

Motorcycles are everywhere. Mine looks like these except that it has an extra 25 cc's of raw power (for a grand total of 125cc's), giving it that extra boost to climb those muddy mountain roads.



I was hoping to get one of these creatures as a pet, but as it ends up, they're prohibitively expensive.

We took a trip up to Mae Sai border town (with Myanmar) where phony knock-off brands, pirated DVDs and cheap made-in-China merchandise reigns supreme. The Buddhist sculptures here have a distinct Burmese flavour, and while Theravada (read: ancient and conservative) is still the norm, there's a light infusion of Mahayana (think fat, laughing Buddha) trickling down from China.

No comments: